Quick Thought: By Kyle Quick
Mother's Day is a special time to show appreciation for all the maternal figures in our lives. From moms and mother-in-laws to step-moms, grandmothers, and great grandmothers, and even to daughters and spouses who have recently entered motherhood.
This holiday gives us the opportunity to express heartfelt thanks and warm sentiments about what it means to be a mom.
Now comes the tough part, what to get her for Mother’s day, no worries I am going to try and give you a little help.
There’s no doubt guys, such as myself, can use all the help we can get when it comes to shopping, so I have come up with a few ideas that hopefully will keep you out of the doghouse.
These first two are the most important no matter.
- Wish her happy Mother’s Day first thing Sunday morning. Forget this and you might as well return whatever gift you purchased.
- A Mother’s Day card. Simply stop by Pratt’s Pharmacy in New Haven and take time to read the card. This is not a “grab and snag.”
Although, even if your creative skills flat out stink, a personally made card can mean even more, regardless what it looks like.
Here are some popular items along with a few ideas I came up with.
Moms know that most guys struggle when it comes to picking out the right gift. So, if you pay close attention, moms will always find ways to drop in little hints of things they like or are thinking about buying. This is the one time it will pay to listen to mom.
- Tech gadgets
- iPads and iPods
- Digital picture frames. (Making this gift even better is by having photos of you and your kids already uploaded.)
- Jewelry, particularly a special Mother’s day necklace that includes her childrens’ birthstones.
- You can never go wrong with a gift card.
Simple but thoughtful:
- Breakfast in bed.
- Dinner, either make her favorite meal or take mom out to her favorite restaurant.
- Picture frames but put a picture of you and your kids in it. Do not give just give her a picture frame, that’s like giving her an empty jewelry box.
Lastly, I personally think the worst gifts are flowers because for one, they die and two, flowers suggest you forgot to get your mom something.
So for the love of mankind please do not get your mother flowers. I don’t care if you live a thousand miles away, at least send her a card.
Most importantly tell your mom you love her. Three simple words go a long way.
Hopefully I prevented you from sleeping outside Sunday night or generate your own idea.
Share any ideas you may have by sharing them below and as you send us your idea we will add it to our list.
Personally, I like the idea of flowers. Having delivered hundreds if not thousands of floral bouquets over the years, I can personally testify to the fact that most women LOVE to get flowers. Even if they say to not send flowers, their eyes still light up when they get them.
Flowers are a thoughtful, luxury item that most women won't get for themselves. You never have to worry about if they fit, or if they are the right color, or if it will add inches to the waist line. A simple gift of flowers can brighten Mom's ( or anyone else's) day. Don't rule out the simplest solutions!
I agree there is something special about getting them delivered, it shows they thought in advance to order them.
Personally, I've let my guys know that if they are going to buy me flowers, I prefer silk ones. That way I can display them year round.
Another awesome gift idea would be a massage with Elizabeth Brown (she's located in the office with Dr. Doris the chiropractor, across the street from Pratts). I speak from experience that an hour of pampering is AMAZING!